Color matters … colors appeal to the eyes. Your brain responds to colors by stimulating the pituitary and pineal glands. The glands regulate your happy hormones such as dopamine, endorphin and serotonin. Use this delicious rainbow salad recipe then next time you want a mood lift.
Colorful foods trigger a happy mood that makes you feel more relaxed, calm, optimistic and content.
Let me share my favorite, healthy, delicious rainbow salad recipe. I use whatever is available when I go grocery-shopping. You can feel free to use the same or substitute with other similar color, taste or texture to make a rich salad.
MY FAVORITE DELICIOUS RAINBOW SALAD RECIPE
In this rainbow salad recipe, I missed out the purple cabbage as I couldn’t get it at the market at the time. But, it tastes just as great without it.
This rainbow salad recipe easily serves as an appetizer for about 8-10 people. It is always a hit when I serve this salad and it gets over faster than it takes me to prepare it! But, the satiated look on the faces of my guests are so worth the effort.
Prepare all the ingredients by washing them and putting them aside to be cut. Always use organic if you can. Organic fruits and vegetables are not only pesticides free, they are also richer in nutrients.
These are what I used for this bowl of salad:
- One third of a head of iceberg lettuce – tear a few leaves and shred them up to small bite-sizes.
- One third of a cucumber – quarter it lengthwise and then slice them thin.
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes – cut each one into 2 or 3 pieces to allow the juices to flow into the salad.
- 1 cup of blueberries – use them whole.
- 4-5 clementines – peel them and separate each wedge.
- 1 medium-sized onion – slice them thin.
- 2 ripe avocados – cube them.
- 2 ripe mangoes – cube them.
- Cilantro – chop them up and sprinkle it in the bowl generously.
- Hard-boiled eggs (optional) – slice them and add them at the end after you’ve mixed in the dressing.
- Cashew nuts or any other nuts (except peanuts) – I like to use lightly-roasted cashew nuts as the texture blends in really well with any salad and it gives that nice creamy taste in the mouth.
Healthy Salad Dressing
With such a beautifully prepared bowl of salad, you want to use a healthy salad dressing. I love using an Asian sesame-ginger dressing that goes really well with this delicious rainbow salad recipe.
Having one or two healthy oils in the salad helps to enhance the nutrient absorption in your body. Try it!