Fried rice is made with a tonne of oil, starchy carbs, and a lot of sodium, which makes it just as bad as having a burger, right?
Well, not if you switch a few of the traditional ingredients and replace them with healthier options. Here, white rice is replaced with quinoa and a little brown rice, olive oil is used instead of unhealthy vegetable oil, frozen veg doesn’t make an appearance, and it’s sayonara to tinned pineapple and hello to the fresh, juicy and sweet real-deal.
Pineapple Quinoa Fried Rice
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 6 large green prawns, peeled
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 sprigs spring onion
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup cashews
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (see note below)
- 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice (see note below)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped roughly
- Red long chilli, sliced finely, to serve
Tip: Use leftover rice that has been refrigerated, or for a speedy version look for pre-cooked quinoa and rice pouches. Freshly cooked, hot rice will make a too-sticky, glue-like texture in your fried rice.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. Crack in the egg and scramble. Transfer the cooked egg out onto a plate.
2. Wipe the pan clean, return to medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the prawns and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until they’ve turned opaque and light pink. Transfer to the plate.
3. Return the pan to the heat and add the pineapple. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until the pineapple begins to caramelise a little. Reduce heat to medium, add carrot, spring onion, tamari and fish sauce, stir quickly. Add quinoa and rice and stir-fry until they are mixed in well and warmed through, about 3 minutes.
4. Return the egg and prawns to the mix and sprinkle the lot with sesame seeds, fresh coriander and chilli to serve.
Know someone who would find this interesting? Share this article with them!
You will be confident in knowing exactly what is in the products your family uses and happy with the money you will save every month.
In addition, they offer you three more bonuses + 75% discount only this month!
- 105+ NATURAL HOME REMEDIES – Treat almost any illness with natural ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- 75+ NATURAL BEAUTY RECIPES -Get the best hair and skin you’ve ever had and look younger with these insanely clever natural beauty recipes.
- 35+ DYI HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS & CLEANERS – Never Buy Toxic Cleaning products again! Save a fortune and your families health with these super simple homemade cleaning products that work better than the chemical ones.