When you think of vitamin C, you automatically think of your plain old oranges, lemons and limes. But this winter you don’t need to be sculling litres of fresh OJ every day in order to boost your immune system. You also shouldn’t walk pass the underrated papaya in your local supermarket, because these tropical babes are packed with all the goodness you need to get you through the cooler months without ending up with a sore throat and blocked nose.
A single serve of papaya provides double your daily dose of Vitamin C, it’s packed with Vitamin A and C, lutein and beta-carotene for a happy and healthy gut, but best of all? It has powerful skin-glowing antioxidants, so it’s goodbye to wrinkles and hello to a younger you (inside and out).
Pair it with some healthy fats and good for you carbs, and you’ve got yourself the perfect brekkie that’s rich in iron, protein, fibre….honestly, we’d be here forever if we were to tell you the whole list.
Papaya and almond porridge
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (35 g)
- 1 cup milk or water
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup diced papaya (150 g)
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds (10g)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
1. Add oats, milk and cinnamon to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 – 4 minutes until thickened, then stir through half the diced papaya.
2. Spoon porridge into a serving bowl, top with almonds, almond butter, yoghurt and remaining papaya.
Different styles of oats require different amounts of liquid. If you prefer a thicker porridge, or aren’t sure about the brand in your pantry, start with a bit less liquid then add more as it cooks.