Your favourite ‘cheat meal’ minus the calories.
With rich beef sauce, creamy bechamel, and layer upon layer of carb-heavy pasta, the humble lasagne has been categorised into the ‘cheat meal’ section.
But Dr Joanna McMillan reveals you can still have that lasagne without the guilt or diet sacrifice, simply by switching up a few ingredients.
This hearty yet healthy version is packed full of veg, healthy carbs, protein, and some more veg. It’s definitely got our summer-body tick of approval.
Chargrilled veggie lasagne
- 300g spinach wholegrain lasagne sheets (recipe below) or store-bought wholegrain lasagne sheets
- ¼ Kent pumpkin, skin removed & sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cored and quartered
- 1 green capsicum, cored and quartered
- 1 eggplant, sliced lengthways
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthways
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Salt flakes & fresh black pepper
- 250g packet light cream cheese
- 250g carton cottage cheese
- 1 can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jar passata
- 250g mozzarella, grated
- ½ bunch fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the sliced pumpkin and capsicum on a baking tray and the eggplant and zucchini on a plate or board. In a small bowl mix the extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Brush the veggies with the oil and vinegar mixture and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast the pumpkin and capsicum in the oven for 10 minutes. Turn, baste with oil and vinegar on the other side and roast for a further 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile heat a chargrill plate and cook the eggplant and zucchini for 2 minutes on each side or until nicely browned. (Alternatively, you can chargrill all the veggies on the BBQ grill.)
5. While the veggies are cooking bring a large saucepan of water to boil and add the fresh lasagne sheets 2 or 3 at a time, depending on the size of your pan. Cook for 2 minutes, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon or small sieve and place on a clean tea towel while you cook par-cook the remaining sheets.
6. In a bowl combine the cottage and light cream cheese along with a good grind of fresh black pepper.
7. Drain and rinse the borlotti beans.
8. Now you are ready to assemble your lasagne. Pour a little passata to cover the bottom of your baking dish. Then layer the eggplant slices and scatter with fresh basil leaves and a good grind of black pepper. Drizzle with a little more passata and then layer over lasagne sheets, cutting the sheets to fit rather than overlapping.
9. Layer the pumpkin slices and follow with the cottage and light cream cheese mixture. Scatter again with basil leaves, a second layer of lasagne sheets and drizzle with passata and more black pepper. Layer with the zucchini slices, the borlotti beans, basil leaves and a final layer of lasagne sheets.
10. Finnish with the passata, roast capsicum and scatter with the mozzarella cheese.
11. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
You will be confident in knowing exactly what is in the products your family uses and happy with the money you will save every month.
In addition, they offer you three more bonuses + 75% discount only this month!
- 105+ NATURAL HOME REMEDIES – Treat almost any illness with natural ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- 75+ NATURAL BEAUTY RECIPES -Get the best hair and skin you’ve ever had and look younger with these insanely clever natural beauty recipes.
- 35+ DYI HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS & CLEANERS – Never Buy Toxic Cleaning products again! Save a fortune and your families health with these super simple homemade cleaning products that work better than the chemical ones.